#OnePotMeals: Roasted Chicken over Kale & Potatoes

I'm back at work, two weeks into this working mum thing and we are surviving.  So far I'd say this transition has been successful--the tears are less frequent, the baby seems happy (if also snotty!) and I am starting to sense a routine.  Aside from the painful tugs on my heartstrings each morning, the biggest struggle is in the food department.  How does one balance work, spending time with the little guy at night and eating well at home?  I welcome any and all input on the balance, and have two initiatives of my own:

1)  A quick and easy recipe share:  I emailed friends and came up with a (short) list of quick and easy recipes. I'd love more inspiration, so please please please add in any of your go-to mid week recipes. You can find, use and add to that shared recipe document here.

2) I'm shifting my dinner expectations with apologies to all the 15 step, 10+ ingredient recipes I used to love. (It's not you, it's me... we want different things right now, complicated recipes!).  I declared Sunday evening my official #OnePotMeals night, where I'll make a double portion of a One Pot Meal to enjoy and reheat for a second supper later in the week.

The first #OnePotMeals Sunday recipe follows below. Was it quick, easy and healthy? Yes. Was it the most flavorful thing ever?  Maybe not. But I spent almost all afternoon and evening with my little guy and can now spend all of tomorrow evening with him while we enjoy the leftovers. Shifted priorities!  

#OnePotMeals: Roasted Chicken with Potatoes and Kale

Ingredients
  • 3 cups of tightly packed, cleaned and chopped kale
  • 1 medium vidalia onion, thinly sliced
  • 6-8 fingerling or Yukon potatoes, sliced into 1/4th inch slices*
  • 6 pieces of chicken (thighs and drums) 
  • 1/5 cup of olive oil
  • Lemon wedges
  • Paprika 
  • Salt & Pepper

*While the recipe calls for Yukon Gold, I enjoyed fingerlings from my CSA share

 Directions
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  • Toss the potatoes, kale, and onion in oil, salt & pepper
  • Layer the mixture in a dutch oven
  • Top the vegetables with well salted and peppered chicken pieces
  • Sprinkle the chicken with paprika
  • Cover the pot, and cook for 20 minutes
  • Remove the lid, and cook for another 30-35 minutes until the chicken is cooked through
  • Enjoy with a healthy squeeze of lemon juice


1 comment:

  1. Fish is always so fast. I love Ina's Mustard Roasted Fish:
    --4 firm filets like red snapper
    --8 oz creme fraiche (or I use low fat sour cream)
    --3 T Dijon
    --1 T whole grain mustard
    --2 T minced shallots
    --2 t capers, drained
    Smother fish with sauce, bake 10-15 min at 425.
    Then I cheat and serve it with Taboule made with the package mix by Near East. Fast din and delish.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS