Lauren Lately: Super local... stew


Lately, I've been working hard on my most local endeavor to date. Anywhere from 6-8 hours a day, I'm at it and the distance from production to consumption is less than an inch....  You see, we were blessed with the arrival of our first son, and I am deep in the trenches of breast feeding. 

For the past week since his precious arrival, we've been happily enjoying food drop-offs from my mother-in-law (Homemade lasagna, chicken and rice, etc.) and frequent take-out as we navigate this exciting time for our new family. 

It actually feels like an accomplishment making breakfast shakes every morning (Blend: 1 Banana, 1 Orange, 1 tbs ground flax seed, 1 cup yogurt, ice and almond milk), and last night, on day 7, I cooked my first meal.  

It was therapeutic to get back in the kitchen and steal a little time chopping and stewing while my hubby played with our son.  My monthly winter CSA arrived with a bundle of root vegetables, and as you may know from this post, I love freezing, and I was able to take advantage of some of summers bounty of green peppers, jalapeƱos and zucchini.  

Winter Root Vegetable Stew
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1/8 cup chopped jalapeƱo
  • 4 cleaned and bite size chopped carrots
  • 6 cleaned and bite size chopped turnips
  • 3 cleaned and bite size chopped fingerling potatoes
  • 1/2 an onion finely chopped
  • 1 can rinsed chick peas
  • 1 large can peeled and chopped tomatoes
  • 1 lb lean ground turkey
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 3 cloves chopped garlic
  • Herbs of your choice: I used a 3 tablespoon mixture of oregano, cayenne, rosemary and thyme
Directions
  • Brown the turkey, breaking it up as you cook over medium heat
  • Add the garlic and onion, cook until fragrant
  • Add all the vegetables, except the tomatoes, mixing well to distribute
  • Pour in the red wine, let simmer for 5 minutes
  • Mix in the chopped tomatoes, and fill the can 1/3 up with water.  Swish around to get all the good bits, and pour into the stew
  • Add the herbs, and mix well
  • Cook, over low-medium heat for 45 mins - 2 hours (lower heat for longer times).  Add more water or stock as needed
  • Enjoy with crusty bread

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS