Quinoa & Kale Crustless QuicheCourtesy of Food52
Makes About 6 slices
- 1/2 cup quinoaAsk the
- 1 cup water or stock (veggie or chicken)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small bunch (2 cups) kale
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup of sharp cheese, such as white cheddar or gouda
- 3 ounces of cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 and butter or spray a 9" pie dish. Rinse the quinoa. Combine the quinoa and water or stock in a pot. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat and then reduce to a simmer for about twenty minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, start to caramelize the onions. Heat the olive oil in a large saute on medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onions. Slowly cook until soft and browned.
- Transfer the onions to large bowl. Add the kale into the hot onion pan. On medium heat, cook until the kale is wilted but still bright green, about two minutes.
- Add the kale, quinoa, garlic, cream cheese and cheddar to the onions. Stir until mixed.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until well combined. Pour over the quinoa/kale mixture. Stir until the egg clings to the greens. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture in the prepared pie dish. Bake for about 35- 45 minutes, until the top is golden and the pie has started to pull away from the edge of the baking dish.