Ina Garten's Apple & Pear Crisp

I've loved the Food Network since it's early 90's debut.  Like any good East Ender with a passion for cooking, that means I adore the one and only Ina Garten, a.k.a. The Barefoot Contessa.

Shopping at the Montauk fish monger one year, I saw her filming a segment.  Ohhhhh did that tickle my fancy!  We watched two takes, where Ina "asked" about the difference between types of scallops for the benefit of us viewers, and then I obsessively DVR-ed until I saw "our" episode air. (See how I did that, I made something about Ina mine!). In the episode, she and Jeffrey enjoyed sandwiches on the Montauk docks, OUR Montauk dock, and I ate it up.

This years crisp CSA apples have been a favorite in my household, and the delivery of pears last week had me looking no further than Ina for a perfect fall dessert.


































Apple & Pear Crisp    
Courtesy of Ina Garten & The Food Network

Ingredients (Base)
  • 2 pounds / 4 ripe pears
  • 2 pounds / 6 firm apples
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup of agave syrup or 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat or (white) all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
 Ingredients (Toppings)
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat or (white) all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup of agave syrup or 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
  • 1/4 pound (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
    • Note: The recipe calls for 2 sticks, but I used one and was happy with the end result
  • Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt 



Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  • Peel, core, and cut the pears and apples into chunks. Place the fruit in a large bowl and mix in the zests, juices, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. 
    • Note: Out of nutmeg, I used ground ginger instead
  • Pour into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch baking dish.
  • For the topping: Combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on low speed for 1 minute, until the mixture is in large crumbles. If you don't have a mixer (like I don't at the Montauk house), mix and chop the ingredients together by hand with a knife until the butter breaks up. 
  • Sprinkle evenly over the fruit base, covering the fruit completely.
  • Place the dish on a sheet pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the top is brown and the fruit is bubbly. 
  • Serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.  

    This October is #AppleLove recipe month, led by The Spicy RD.  Check it out on Twitter with the hash tag or here!

    5 comments:

    1. Looks delicious and glad you shared it. Feel free to "link up" to the other #applelove posts. You can find the link on my blog. I enjoy watching Ina too. How fun to see her filming!

      ReplyDelete
    2. are you kidding? i want this in my tummy NOW!!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Yes, please link it up to #AppleLove!

      ReplyDelete
    4. This was great to read thank you.

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
     
    BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS