Curried Celery Soup


We all know not to judge a book by its cover, and in this case, that means not judging a recipe by its title.  I like celery as much as the next gal.  It's crunchy. It has has terrific hummus and peanut butter scooping propensities. I also love Indian Food.  Somehow, though, curried + celery + soup sounded, well... sorta just okay, not terribly special.

The deluge of celery in my weekly CSA and gorgeous list of accompanying ingrediants turned me onto this not-so-aptly titled soup and I am grateful for it.  Think Indian root vegetable stew, not just curried celery.

If you like Indian food and thick fall soups, this ones for you (that means you Penny!). Top with a dollop of fresh yogurt or sour cream and dig in!

Curried Celery Soup
4 servings 

Ingredients
  • Vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 6 celery stalks, diced
  • 2 potatoes, diced
  • 1 cup celery leaves, chopped
  • 3 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 apple, diced
  • 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth  
  • 4 teaspoons curry powder (or garam masala which is all I had on hand!)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin (omit if using garam masala)
  • 2 teaspoons thyme
  • salt and pepper
Directions
  • Sauté the onion, carrot and celery in a little vegetable oil for about 10 minutes.  
  • Add the potatoes, sauté for another 5 minutes.  
  • Add the garlic, the apple and the spices, continue to sauté for a few more minutes.
  • Add the broth, scrape the bottom of the pan and bring to a simmer.  
  • Cook for another 10 - 20 minutes (test to make sure a potato cube is cooked) and then add the celery leaves and cook for another 5 minutes.  
  • You can blend the whole batch with in a food processor or with an immersion blender, however, I'd suggest just blending half for a chunkier end product.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve topped with a dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren: When you say you like celery, I commend you, because other than the heart, I can't stand the stuff. Yes, it does serve as a decent "scooper", but there are far better (and way less healthier) alternatives! As for this recipe, I'm intrigued. I may just have to try it. Having said that, I have enjoyed not only reading your posts, but I am impressed by your photos. You make celery look sexy! Thanks for sharing. Jessie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS