Zucchini & Walnut Muffins

When I first moved to New York City seven years ago, I had a bit of a muffin problem.  Actually, I had more of a "I can not find a job, I just got my MBA, I am starting to panic about student loan debt, so I will obsessively bake muffins" problem. It was a much needed distraction from the daily job hunting grind. 

Looking back, I was not very inventive or fun with my muffining.  I just kept baking them, a WHOLE lot of them, on repeat.  When I started working, I stopped baking, and my household not-so-secretly welcomed the hiatus. 

It was a few years before I was back in safe muffining territory.  When Fitsugar tweeted this recipe last week, I pounced, very excited to use one of many (too many?) CSA zucchinis in a non-savory way. 

While these muffins are certainly on the healthier side with skim milk and a veggie base, served warm or toasted with a slab of butter I promise you will not care.  Plus, I added chopped walnuts.  Have you ever eaten a walnut-specked baked good you didn't like?  I didn't think so.  Next time around, I am turning these sweet treats into cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting.  Now THAT will be some good muffining!

Zucchini & Walnut Muffins
Modified courtesy of of FitSugar and DietsinReview 
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (or 3/4 cup white flour & 3/4 cup brown whole wheat flour)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • Egg-whites from 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup agave syrup (or 3/4 cup sugar)
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup skim milk (or 1 cup if you used sugar instead of agave)
  • 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (one large zucchini in my case)
  • 5 tablespoons roughly chopped walnuts
Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (or 400 if you used sugar instead of agave). Spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
  • In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
  • In a second bowl, beat egg whites slightly and stir in the agave, milk, oil and zucchini. Add to flour mixture stirring until just combined. Mix in the walnuts.
  • Fill muffin cups to the line**.
  • Bake for about 20 minutes. 
  • Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes and then remove from pan. Serve warm or refrigerate for later use, heating up to enjoy.
**The original directions, and most muffin recipes, suggest filling the tins 2/3 full.  I did one batch 2/3rds full, and a second batch with a few filled to the top.  See the obvious winner below. 

2 comments:

  1. You're making me hungry!

    (Brian & Stacy)

    P.S. - Need your advice re: CSAs too...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS