A Vacation Post & Roasted Radishes

We enjoyed a week holiday.  First in lovely Maine gorging on lobsters and potatoes, and then in Montauk reading, relaxing and doing some serious rain-induced puzzling.  The lobster eggs benedict at this restaurant in Portland and the lobster roll at Calder's Clam Shack on Chebeague Island were major food highlights of our trip up north, should you find yourself in the neighborhood.  

With the travel, I gave our weekly CSA to good friends down the street.  I delighted in their reviews, "The veggies are AWESOME. Simply Amazing," and experienced a hint of jealousy when hearing about sauteed garlic in radish greens.  Farm fresh radishes are an absolute favorite of mine.  When I first had a farmers market radish, the pungent, crisp morsel so out-shined the supermarket's watery variety that I knew local and in season eating was a must. 

On Thursday, I attended the Montauk Farmer's Market and inspired my radish envy, picked up this gorgeous bunch.


My farm share's weekly email shared a quick recipe for roasted radishes.  While others at my table loved them, I found them just so-so.  The roasting cut out much of that bright spicy flavor, and they almost tasted like slightly spicy small turnips. Not bad, just not as expected.  Since half my table enjoyed them (and shared that sentiment unsolicited!), I share the recipe below.  I'd love to hear your comments if any of you give this easy recipe a go.
  
Roasted Radishes
Ingredients 
  • 1 bunch of radishes
  • 1 tablespoon of melted butter
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • Salt & pepper
  • Thyme or other herbs as desired
Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 250°c.
  • Trim the radishes well (saving the green tops for a salad or saute if you are so inclined!), leaving about 1/2 inch of stem. 
  • Rinse the radishes well. For me, this involves a brush or a good finger nail over the particularly earthy spots.
  • Place the radishes on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with melted butter and olive oil, and sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and herbs.  Toss to coat.
  • Roast for 12 to 15 minutes, until the radishes are tender but still slightly crunchy (red radishes will turn pale pink in color, lighter radishes may turn a pale gold). Serve warm or at room temperature. 

1 comment:

  1. Lauren: I'm so glad that you posted this recipe, because other than in crudite plates, I rarely eat radishes. Tonight, we are once again eating these delights (the second time in one month), as my husband and I both adored them! We did not add any herbs, just the straight butter, oil and, of course s&p. Thank you for sharing! Jessie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS