In this case, it was the carrots. Multiple ... bowls .... full ... of both the bright, almost poppy-colored variety, and a plethora of the tamer yellow version. I'd roasted, chopped and pureed as many as I could for baby food, dropped others in salads, soups and stir fry and still, the damn carrot supply held on.
Determined to try something new, I found this carrot & rice casserole. Had I planned better, it might have made a nice Thanksgiving side for some of you. I'll tweet that next year. Whether you are long on carrots like me, simply looking for a hearty side dish, or cooking on a Sunday and hoping for a recipe that will sprout leftovers, this dish could be just the trick.
The whole family devoured, baby included.
Carrot & Rice Casserole
Base recipe here.
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 -1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Combine the carrots, rice, garlic, onion, herbs and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the yogurt and beaten eggs and stir to mix
- Coat a 2 qt casserole dish with oil or cooking spray, and spread the carrot mix out evenly. Top with cheese
- Cook for 45 mins - 1 hour until a knife comes out cleanly. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.